On September 8, Makenna underwent a baby colonoscopy. I was still seeing blood in her diaper, so the pediatric GI wanted to investigate. I was terrified, but hoping to have an answer. We checked into the hospital around 8:30am. They sent us back to the Endoscopy department. We got Makenna into an itty bitty hospital gown (with pink dinosaurs and elephants). They put on a tiny blood pressure cuff that was hooked up to the monitors, and an oxygen monitor on her foot. We put her sockies on because it was cold in there. We took her back to the procedure room, where they put 3 more sticky pads on her for monitoring. Once everything was ready, Ken and I had to go outside to wait. It only took about 10 minutes, and the nurse who came to get us actually had Makenna with her. I immediately fed her a bottle (she had only PediaLyte to drink for 24 hours prior), and she was a happy but tired girl. All done!
The doctor gave us a picture of her colon. He said the irritations and swelling are typical of an allergy. HOPEFULLY, a simple solution! I have to cut dairy out of my diet. Here are the pics of her colon.

I almost starved the first day home, because dairy is in a LOT of things! I did some research on the internet, made myself a menu and a shopping list. It's not so bad, and I've actually lost a few pounds. Maybe I'll keep this up for a while. Vanilla Silk (soy milk) has been nice in my coffee, and I'll try it in my cereal soon. If you think about it, the best dairy products are the most fattening! Cheese, butter, sour cream, ice cream, etc. So my diet has changed for the better.
Here's our happy girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment